Low back is the lumbar area of the spine. The anatomy of this region consists of
- Bony lumbar spine (vertebra)
- Discs between the vertebrae
- Ligaments around the spine and discs
- Spinal cord and nerves
- Muscles of the lower back
- Internal organs of the pelvis and abdomen
- Skin covering the lumbar area
The lumbar spine provides protection to the spinal cord from injury along with a movable support structure. The discs present between the vertebra provide a cushioning effect which minimizes the stress impact.
Sudden lower back pain is termed as lumbago. It is characterized by acute pain that worsens as the day progresses. Back stiffness is experienced due to muscle spasm.