Precautionary steps to be taken for dislocation.
- Prompt medical care
- Try to keep the joint immobile
- Apply ice on the affected joint
Severity of injury and site of dislocation determines the mode of treatment.
- Reduction – the bones are gently maneuvered by the doctor to restore its normal position
- Immobilisation – After restoring the bone position, the doctor would immobilize the joint using a splint/sling for several weeks.
- Pain medication – Pain relief through prescribed medication is advised if the severe pain persists after reduction
- Surgery – Depending on severity of the dislocation and associated damage to nerves or blood vessels, the patient might be required to undergo surgery. Surgery could be a recourse undertaken in cases of recurring dislocations.
- Rehabilitation – A rehabilitation routine is designed for gradual return to original state after removal of splint or sling. The duration would vary drastically depending on site and severity of the dislocation.