The signs & symptoms of early lymphoedema include:
- Swelling – in the preliminary stages, before any apparent swelling is observed, one might feel tightening of clothing, ornaments, watches, etc
- Change in sensation – a sensation of tightness & stiffness in the legs would be felt
- Skin changes – Along with feeling stretched, skin would appear scaly, rough & dry
The signs of advanced lymphoedema constitute of:
- First stage: Even though swelling might not be noticeable, however a gentle pressure on the affected area might lead to an indentation or mark on the skin (pitting oedema)
- Second stage: One might experience complex skin problems. Lymph fluid might ooze out from the skin as it stretches and breaks when tissues harden gradually. This is termed as lymphorroea.
- Third stage: Hindrance to mobility would occur and a change in shape of limb would be observed.